Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Bite of the infrastructure











Being born and having lived most of my life in Kolkata – I have missed the wonderful array of food available here that my taste-buds have yearned for. After experiencing the different cuisines (locally prepared) and their typical flavour, I am glad to be back here once again.

My first experience was of the Golden Spoon rolls. The restaurant is quite the same. Small, two-storied and has the same staff serving you. The waft of crispy parathas bathed in ghee filled my nostrils. And soon I was presented with the famous egg chicken roll. The flaky paratha embezzled with lime and onions just like I wanted it.

The other food encounters have all been enjoyable. From biryani, chicken chaap and firni, to dal puris and jalebi and not to forget the everlasting halwa-puri. Also the dahi vada and papri chaat and puchkaas. The masala muri is another snack one can munch on the entire day. As well as the street kulfi man with his basket of kulfi covered with a red gamchaa. It beats hands down the New Zealand ice – cream place opened on Wood Street. Sometimes for me, the simpler the better!!

While growing up I was fond of Milk Emporium peras. So this time I stopped at the shop to have a look-see. The shop was much the same with the curd, rabri and laccha in their respective places. The peras were there too and presented in much the same way – wrapped in newspaper and thrust into your palm. Oh – the distinct taste of this pera is so different from any other and I loved it.

At New Market, my first stop was Nahoums. The old glass panes that displayed sweet smelling pastries and savouries helped me dive straight into my childhood memory bank where I would always stop for a brownie – no matter how long the shopping spree was for. So along with the brownies, I picked up the pizza puff ( a must for each birthday party we had ), jam tart and almond macroons. Their fruit-filled buns and potato chops were on my list too. Only the small samosas were not available.

I have been out for several dinners and a place that I hadn’t been to before was Wangs. It is on Middleton Street and has wonderful momos. It has a wide array of other Nepali food, however, this has a unique taste to it, bigger in size and different from the Elgin Road momos that we were used to.

As my food expedition continues and I enjoy my ultimate week of “I’m in food heaven” – the phone rings and tonight I am off to Chinatown ( in Kolkata – since every place has a Chinatown ) and my dinner awaits me there.








7 comments:

Unknown said...

yum yum yum.... more pictures please!!!!!!!!

Romel said...

Wow!!! what a lovely essence of Calcutta u’ve captured!!!

Caroline said...

Of course! More on it's way!

Devna said...

Caroline, that was a fabulous description of the lovely calcutta egg roll. You just can't get the same thing anyplace else.

Enjoy your time in Calcutta and please do dedicate a post to Chinatown (Is it called Tangra or I am mistaken?)

Kaushik Basak said...

this made the whole scene very alive... really now can't wait to have these dishes... especially when staying far from Calcutta!

Caroline said...

yeah Devna - a post on the Chinese food - coming up. Chinatown and Tangra and two different areas.

Unknown said...

I had been missing the lovely essesnce of Cal for a while too and it's amazing how u've stopped by at the same places where I did ...Golden Spoon,New Market,Elgin Road Momos,Masala muri...the one thing u missed out is puchkas....hehehhe.Njoy ur time.